Solihull Academy

Mental Health Help and Support

If you are experiencing mental health problems or need urgent support, there are lots of places you can go to for help.

What should I do if I'm supporting someone in a crisis?

If the person seems really unwell, and you are worried about their safety, you should encourage them to seek help.YoungMinds Mental Health Charity For Children And Young People

 At Time to Change, we focus on challenging stigma and discrimination in society, so we're not able to provide individual or emergency support for people in crisis. But there are lots of people who can. They are listed here:


Kooth is a free, anonymous and safe online mental wellbeing community for children and young people, aged 11 – 25 years old across Birmingham. This service is funded by Birmingham Children’s Partnership (BCP).

We have a range of different features that support our service users:

  • Content featuring articles written by users
  • Discussion boards
  • Mini activity hub
  • Log and track personal goals
  • Reflection on personal journals
  • Chats (text based) with our friendly team of qualified professionals up to 10pm each night, 365 days per year.

Kooth is easily accessible and young people can sign up or login into the service by going to


Call freeL 116 123 (24 hours a day)

Provides confidential, non-judgemental emotional support for people experiencing feelings of distress or despair, including those that could lead to suicide. You can phone, email, write a letter or in most cases talk to someone face to face.

Mind Infoline

0300 123 3393 (9am-6pm Monday to Friday) or text 86463

Mind provides confidential mental health information services.

With support and understanding, Mind enables people to make informed choices. The Infoline gives information on types of mental health problems, where to get help, drug treatments, alternative therapies and advocacy. Mind works in partnership with around 140 local Minds providing local mental health services.

Rethink Mental Illness Advice Line

0300 5000 927 (9.30am - 4pm Monday to Friday)

Provides expert advice and information to people with mental health problems and those who care for them, as well as giving help to health professionals, employers and staff.

Rethink also runs Rethink services and groups across England.


0300 304 7000 (4:30pm-10:30pm)

Saneline is a national mental health helpline providing information and support to people with mental health problems and those who support them.

The Mix

0808 808 4994 (11am-11pm, free to call)
Helpline email form
Text 'THEMIX' to 85258 for Crisis Support

The Mix provides judgement-free information and support to young people aged 13-25 on a range of issues including mental health problems. Young people can access the The Mix's support via phone, email, webchat, peer to peer and counselling services.


0800 1111

ChildLine is a private and confidential service for children and young people up to the age of nineteen. You can contact a ChildLine counsellor for free about anything - no problem is too big or too small. 

Side By Side

Side by Side is an online community where you can listen, share and be heard. Side by Side is run by Mind. 


Shout is the UK’s first 24/7 text service, free on all major mobile networks, for anyone in crisis anytime, anywhere. It’s a place to go if you’re struggling to cope and you need immediate help.

Text: 85258


The MindEd learning portal provides free online training suitable for anyone wishing to know more about a specific mental health issue or concern

NHS England IAPT (Improving Access to Psychological Therapies)

If you're based in England, you can use webpage to find and refer yourself to mental health services in your area.


If you're a carer needing support you can contact all of the above as well as Carers Direct and the Carers Trust, both of whom are able to provide support and advice on any issues affecting you.

 Parents and carers seeking advice and support in relation to Drugs and Alcohol may find this resource written by Young Minds useful. 
Advice and information for parents - Drugs and Alcohol